Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Gi-hugic Womens, Favicons, and Junk.

You gotta know a love poem is gonna be tweaked as hell when it is part of a corpus of work called The Flowers of Evil. And well, that’s what Baudelaire does. He’s big with the tweaked.
I added his poem, “The Giantess (La Géante)” to the gallery page at timstotz.com that my Giant women pictures will be on. I think it compliments them well.

Special thanks to the site, fleursdumal.org. They allowed me to reproduce their translations.

There are several versions. Here’s a good one:

The Giantess (La Géante) — Charles Baudelaire
In times of old when Nature in her glad excess
Brought forth such living marvels as no more are seen,
I should have loved to dwell with a young giantess,
Like a voluptuous cat about the feet of a queen;

To run and laugh beside her in her terrible games,
And see her grow each day to a more fearful size,
And see the flowering of her soul, and the first flames
Of passionate longing in the misty depths of her eyes;

To scale the slopes of her huge knees, explore at will
The hollows and the heights of her — and when, oppressed
By the long afternoons of summer, cloudless and still,

She would stretch out across the countryside to rest,
I should have loved to sleep in the shadow of her breast,
Quietly as a village nestling under a hill.

Translation: George Dillon, Flowers of Evil (NY: Harper and Brothers, 1936)

For more translations, you can go to their page that they have dedicated to “The Giantess”. The interpretations are varied—some almost tame, some sexy, some just dark as hell.
It worked well with my photos. I kind of wanted to put this in with my artist’s statement, but really isn’t it kind of Baudelaire’s Artist Statement? I never claimed my idea was utterly without precedent, but cribbing from someone’s poem suggests I can’t come up with my own reason why giant women are cool.

-----------

I hope everybody bookmarked my home page. And if you haven’t there’s a new reason for you to do it to it: ! That tiny, little graphic is called a favicon /fay-veye-con/ and it should appear either in the bar at the top you type the URL in, and/or in your bookmark list after you save it. (not here, my home page) I can’t believe I got it to work. I’m none too bright.
--------
I now own brakes. Yeah. They work and everything. Yeah, and they’re actually ON my car. Novel place for them, wouldn’t you agree? Would I be too complain-y if I said that they work too well? ‘Cause they do. I was so used to essentially standing on the things to come to any sort of stop, that now that they do work, I damn-neared go through the windshield. So, I guess I’ll need a new one of those fuckers soon. Stupid windshield.

------
Back at the beginning, I remember stoically, if not horribly inaccurately, proclaiming that I would make this mainly a technical journal. It would be all Mega Bits, Bytes, and nibbles, and there would be aggravating talk of depth of field, and focal point, and of course we had to get the Bezier curves representin’, and all that fun jargony stuff. Anyone notice I’m goin’ another way with this thing? Yeah. I WILL include technical details. I’ll also have articles on my main page. But, the personal rants are just so therapeutic (not that I need therapy), and the small audience of readers so far seem to like them.

Comments:
FYI: the favicon worked!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?