Saturday, August 27, 2005

Ott-one, part 2

This started as a reply to SSG’s comment on the post about the VODcast follwoign closely in the footsteps of an older progect I intended, and in fact started working on: The Deep End
I certainly never intended to redux the Deep End. And I was not consciously aware off it. And even when you pointed it out in the previous post, my automatic response was "nu uh." But you are right; there is a similar spirit involved. The output itself is going to be different, but I guess, so am I. It isn't so much about my deliberate changing the product, but just reflexive of my evolution, and I guess what's possible.

After I posted the initial thing, I checkd some of it out myself. A couple things felt like sliding into a warm blanket on a fall day, curling up on the couch, and watching a favorite show on DVD that had been long since canceled by the network dunder heads. And there were some—well “surprises” isn’t a truly appropriate word in that I generated the content. That would be hard, like sneaking up to yourself in the mirror and scaring yourself—but I certainly forgot things.

Looking through the script of Readers, a production that I was doing in about May of 2001, I made a Taliban joke (toward the end of the script). I didn’t know, or I guess remember, that anybody (much less me) knew about them then. Obviously, that would change 4 months later.

I also noticed that one of the pages I found most entertaining, was the Help Page. That was either a good example of trying to pack everything with entertainment, or a good example of how un-entertaining the rest of the site was. Heh

I apologized for making people upgrade to QuickTime 5. And I had OS X back then, but didn’t use it much. I’m now on a machine that can’t even run OS 9 (not natively, and I nuked my classic by hacking). What’s more, I’m now apologizing for making people upgrade to QuickTime 7. Times may change, but standards must remain. Heh

Little know fact, the Terrific Two was never supposed to be a stand alone production. It was supposed to be two different scenes in a fast paced skit episode(a continuing series of whip-fast, Dada stuff called “Off the Deep End”). If you look at it, that explains a lot.

I still think it’s cool that I got April March to agree to let me use her music. I dig her shit, and she was one of the animators of the Ren and Stimpy Show. Like I said on the site, that’s as close I get to hanging with the cool kids.

The Obscure-o-matt™ rocked much face. It was also a fun way to riff on myself for making jokes about Wittgenstein and stuff. A note to those visiting the page…the audio snippets are only placeholders.

And then there is the “what was I thinking” part of the thing. My main fear now is feeding the beast; i.e., making sure I have enough bandwidth and things. Back then, that was an impossible task. Now, it’s do-able with difficulty. Hell, back then I didn’t even have money for the fancy kind off Ramen Noodels, much less a hosting bill that was eleventy-kajillion dollars a month. Man, did I have a Studebaker on my hands or what?

I also had the bad idea of dragging out some ooooold stuff. Like form High school. I might still. It’s scary that, other than a few more pounds, I have changed so little. It’s also scary how we thought the short shorts on men were really funny. You’ll see what I mean soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?