Thursday, January 12, 2006

What to do today? OH Shit!

Most people consult some news source before going out to face the day. The weather guy or gal tells us what to wear. Or maybe we realize that a responsible worker will leave the house a bit early to avoid the parking nightmare of On the Waterfront.

Or, in my case to read the Rock River Times and realize that you are HOSTING A VODCAST ON TUESDAY HOLY SHIT! What the hell?

My life is crazy, but not so crazy that I would forget that. Is my mind getting that bad? Well, yes. But… this time, it wasn’t a case of my drunken, go-go lifestyle catching up to me with hilarious consequences. For, in fact Chris Wah…mum…a…huh…mah…cho…muh nay, or whatever that dude’s name is from Kryptonite bar will be hosting. SSG and I will be helping out, but I’m not hosting. Maybe a guest host thing if Chris goes on vacation (rehab). Oh and it's on Wednesday.

So this means that just about every article I have know behind the scenes details on has been at least a little inaccurate. I think this is the first time I’ve ever been in the RR times though. I thought they would not get facts wrong because facts are the domain of “news” and they don’t do the news. They do editorial…and apparently let you know that there is an energy fair going on all the fucking time. In fact, if one were to take the energy used in the combined total of all the energy fairs it would be enough to alleviate the earth’s energy problem. This is known in the halls of science as “the big irony bang thing.” And that guy who looks like an ewok talks about sports and nature.

Apart from that, they quoted Wikipedia about what a VODcast is, and were mostly right. Here’s the sticky widget about a word that is only a few months old: it is a bit hard to nail down the definition. But, VODcasts don’t stream. They fast start (mine does…we’re cool like that), but streaming is another thing. It’s all about the RSS enclosure. That’s what makes a VODcast a VODcast, or a video blog, or a vlog, or a video podcast, as opposed to just a chunk of video on the interweb. So, most of their definition they got from Wikipedia was right, but not all of it…howcouldthathappen?

And the last thing to add: though there are “Chicago” variants of Blues music, hot dogs, pizza, and other things, there is no “Chicago Blog” really. There are people from Chicago who do blog, and there is a Chicago Video blogging group I belong to, but not a “Chicago Blog.”

Ok, all said and done. I love the Times. I don’t want to live in a city with just one source of paper-based news. Frank and his folk are great, and they tackled an emergent, bleeding edge topic—not easy to do.

I’ll see you all on Wednesday the 18th for the first live taping of krypto-vision. It’ll be a hoot. And don’t wory, The progrum is coming back bigger and badder sooner than later. Real soon in fact. I can almost smell the ozone from the fan that cools my processor as it chugs away compressing another episode…in a new format. Wow that takes a lot of power I bet. Anybody know of a good energy fair coming up?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?