Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Really, aren't we all Q's clients?

So I was out drinking with Q last night. (Many stories seem to start that way.)

Despite the fact we are both childish, we were doing that thing that adults tend to do too much: talk about our jobs.

Q works with developmentally disabled folk in a caretaker-type capacity. She goes to a home, and she hangs out and takes care of them.

The technical, politically correct, buzz word for those in her care is "clients" as opposed to....well insert your own insensitive thing to say about the poor souls here. Or even lambs as Q often calls them (and me, which makes me wonder of her opinion of my intelligence and or sanity).

You might imagine the stories are...colorful to say the least. And Q is not what we would call quiet. No, you can hear here awesome laugh and frank talk of buhginas echoing all around the Brio (nee Bacchus) patio with no problem whatsoever.

So I got to thinking, what if someone came in and heard her talking about clients, and did not know that was a soft word for "patients" or whatever? What if they thought her clients were what one would typically think of as clients, like she was a consultant of some type? Could you imagine the mental picture painted if only bits of the conversation were overheard?

So, Jenkins and I were going over no-load mutual funds, when he just dropped to the ground started moaning and shit himself...a lot. I didn't care for cleaning that up, but the roasted duck appetizers were quite jaunty.

So there we were, talking about 401k options, when we decided that my clients were hot and needed to be hosed down. Well, right in the middle of talking about IRA-based plans and squirting the bastards, one of them rips into the corn field and screams when he drops his money. I had to take off after him, and restrain him. But, we did salvage his money--and put it in penny stocks.

We were diversifying portfolios when a client started humping my shoulder and screaming his own mother's name.
Wait. That actually does happen in business meetings.

By way of disclaimer I will state that Q breaks many laws (often with me as an unwitting accomplice), but she respects her clients privacy, and never gives names or anything.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?